How is it already January 2018? If you’re anything like most of us over here at OmStars, the new year completely snuck up on you and now you’re probably scrambling to get on top of well-intended, New Year’s resolutions to eat healthier, exercise regularly, and practice more yoga! Luckily, the internet is teeming with healthy recipes from vegan food-lovers that are delicious and easy to make. Today, we’re excited to share an amazing recipe by Natalie Prigoone, author of The Great Uncooking: Real Food, Raw Food. It’s a Vegan Creamy Mushroom and Leek Sauce with Caramelized Onions, served over Cauliflower rice.
For this recipe, you will need:
- 4 Mushrooms
- 4 Inches of Leek
- 1 Large Brown Onion
- 2 Cups of Hot Water
- 1/3 Cup of Cashews
- 1 Tbsp of Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Tsp Massels Vegan Stock Powder
- 1/2 a Lemon
- 1/4 of a Cauliflower.
- First, wash and chop all your vegetables. Then heat a drizzle of olive oil on low heat in a large pan, and set a small pot of water to boil.
- Using the pan with the olive oil, sauté your onions, mushrooms and leaks for approximately 10 minutes, taking extra care not to burn the onion. Natalie suggests adding a little salt during the cooking process to help the onions release some water.
- Meanwhile, pour your freshly boiled hot water into a blender with your cashews, yeast flakes, garlic and stock powder and blend until smooth. (Tip: You’ll want to make sure that you allow some steam and pressure to escape through the opening at the top of your blender by leaving the small, plastic cap on only loosely).
- Use a food processor to make your Cauliflower rice. Cut the cauliflower into small chunks, and process until it resembles rice.
- Pour your Cashew cream mixture into the pan with your sautéed veggies, stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens. Then serve the completed mixture over your Cauliflower rice, and garnish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. According to Natalie, this is important for balancing the palate.
This recipe serves 2, and it’s is a delicious and healthy way to stay on track with your new years resolutions. Give it a try and let us know what you think! Plus, check out some of the other amazing recipes that Natalie Prigoone offers on her course, The Great Uncooking, available with your membership to OmStars.com.
Recipe by Natalie Prigoone